Holiday Home Insurance


Property insurance for Australia's second homes

Insuring a second or holiday home in Australia requires a specialist property insurance policy because whether it is purely your own second home or used as a rental, holiday home, it is likely to be left empty for extended periods, either between weekly or fortnightly holiday lets during the main holiday season or during the winter, when the property is most at risk from other potential seasonal problems. Most standard household buildings and contents insurance policies restrict cover when a property is left empty for more than 30 days, so if at any time your holiday home is likely to be unused for longer than this then you should be considering a specialist holiday home insurance policy.

"Insurance cover is available for short-term holiday lets, including self-catering houses, cottages, flats, chalets and apartments located throughout Australia, in rural, coastal and city locations"

If you rent out your second home as a short-term holiday let, then you will also require insurance cover to protect you from potential liability claims from those who rent your property from you, plus theft cover and protection from accidental or malicious damage to your holiday home contents, fixtures and fittings. This is especially important if you are renting out the property directly and not through a holiday letting agent.

Cover is available for most types of furnished holiday homes is all parts of Australia, including self-catering holiday homes, holiday cottages, flats and apartments, including those located on holiday complexes or 'holiday villages'.


"If you rent out your Australia-based holiday home, insurance cover is available to cover loss of rental income, cover against theft and accidental damage by your guests"

"I have a small flat in Sydney that I use when I need to stay over on business - it's a great investment and avoids having to pay hotel bills each time. Arranging insurance cover for my second home was very straightforward."