Goods in Transit Insurance


Carrying and insuring your own goods in transit

Whether you are arranging insurance for the carriage of your own goods or you are operating as a haulier and carrying goods on behalf of others, goods in transit insurance provides you and your clients with cover against the theft, loss or damage to your or others' products. The carriage of goods from one place to another by road, either within the Australia or internationally, can be covered by goods in transit insurance - if the journey involves shipping the goods by sea, then you should consider marine insurance, which will also typically include the 'road' aspects of the journey.

"As local couriers we carry clients' goods within a fairly local area and they probably wouldn't use us if we didn't offer goods in transit insurance cover as a part of our service."

Competitively priced goods in transit insurance, or 'GIT' is available to most types of haulage companies, couriers and freight carriers; even high value goods can be insured, as well as those carried by companies who have previously suffered losses or damage to goods in their charge.

For hauliers, a combined hauliers business liability insurance policy can include public liability and employers liability insurance together with goods in transit liability cover, thereby removing the need to have separate insurance policies for each of these types of insurance.

You may also be interested to see other QuoteRack categories such as HGV insurance and employers and public liability insurance.


"I needed insurance to cover my goods in case there was a delay in their delivery, rather than just loss or damage. This meant that I needed the services of a specialist goods in transit insurance broker who would cover my products whilst on the road"

"It is vital to understand what you are and are not insured for when you are moving your own goods internationally - goods in transit insurance policy wording needs to be right for your particular cargo and you don't want to find yourself uninsured"